A Disappointment

 The other day I picked up my bible and began reading.  This is something I do every day, as a rule.  I was disappointed when I noticed that the leather binding of the cover was beginning to unravel.  This bible is printed by Cambridge University Press, King James Version.  I thought that it was of excellent quality.  The paper they use is high quality, and durable.  Nevertheless, the cover is beginning to unravel.  I doubt this is because of overuse.  I've only been using it for 14 years, and I treat it with proper respect.  I don't throw it around, or handle it with soiled hands.  This cover should not be unravelling so soon, and it makes me wonder.  Perhaps the printers of this book are counting on people buying the book, and then letting it sit on the shelf?  It would have been a simple step for them to sew the cover together, instead of just using glue.  My conclusion is that they cut this corner, knowing that most people would never read their bible enough to cause it to unravel.  And they are probably right.

I came across this post the other day from blogger Scott Hambrick.  Essentially he is saying that instead of reading the bible we should just pray.  Maybe Cambridge University Press is counting on this attitude among Christians.

You don't have to understand the Bible to benefit from reading it.  Even an uneducated and simple Russian peasant would benefit from reading the bible (assuming he knew how to read).  The words of scripture are full of Grace, so much Grace that it will affect you imperceptibly in a beneficial way even if you don't understand it with your rational mind.  Reading scripture is for everyone.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Prepare to Die

Don't Sleep on Young P.

Since You Asked…